Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Drumming surprise at Zone B

View of an oil palm tree at Zone B, looking west. The drumstick tree is in the background towards the right.
The 'drumstick tree' bearing seed pods, used much in Indian curries.

Today the weather was excellent throughout the day for working in direct sun. Since early morning till about 5 pm ( that's when my worker calls it a day) the sky was cloudy and the temperature was very comfortable for working outside. When temperatures are less heaty like today, you'll find me working longer hours in the open.

Today my worker whose name by the way is Ati, completed grass cutting works at Zone B. That encouraged me to walk about in the area and sooner than later it brought me a very pleasant surprise. I saw the drumstick tree bearing fruit in two long pods and one slightly thin but nonetheless long green pod. This is a real bonus because it is the first time ever that I see a drumstick seed pod hanging from a tree. Do you know what a drumstick tree is?

Scientifically known as moringa oleifera , the drumstick tree is a small tree that will reach a maximum height of 8 m. It has an open irregular crown. It gives white and gold flowers which are scented. The seeds in the pod are much used in Indian curries.

Originating from Africa or Western Asia, it is native to Northern India. The trees are deciduous and have attractive foliage that has a fern-like appearance. It was about a year ago that I planted this specimen tree from a cutting my younger sister gave me in Miri. This time around however I'll have the golden chance to propagate them through those seeds once they are ripe later.






Reference:



Fong, Chin Hoong and Enoch, Ivan C.( 1988) Malaysian Trees in Colour. Tropical Press Sdn Bhd. Kuala Lumpur.

No comments: